Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Exhibition Statement


What interests me is my identity, a complex duality of all the diverse pieces that come together to create my puzzle. I am interested in how I relate to my surroundings and how others in my surroundings relate to me. I am aware of what is happening around me and when I take on the role of being the one in front of the camera, I am hyperaware of myself and want to make the audience hyperaware of my presence as well. My relationship with how my performance provokes responses from those around me often tells the course of my pieces.
                I primarily focus in video performance art which has been a development over the course of the past two years. I work with other mediums and enjoy testing my limits and breaking various boundaries and seeing how far I can push my discomfort and push it far enough to make witnesses just as captivated or uncomfortable. Sometimes the act of doing is more powerful than the act of stating. The presumed humiliation and exposure of vulnerability, for me is what empowers my pieces. I can only hope that the strange acts of locking myself in a box for 6 hours, layering my face in acrylic, wrapping myself in 200 yards of plastic wrap and covering myself in mache will stir up some discourse. 

No comments:

Post a Comment